Types of VPN services and choosing the correct one
A Virtual Private Network or VPN is a technology that lets you form a connection between the internet and your computer that is secure. By allowing you to be anywhere in the world anonymously, it protects your privacy. The best VPN services are advantageous because they can guarantee a level of privacy and security to the systems connected to them, especially if the network structure is unable to support it. In this article, we will try and clear the air about some of the different types of VPN services and how you should choose the best one for you.
What is a remote access VPN?
- A remote access VPN uses the internet, which is a part of the public infrastructure, to provide access remotely to their network.
- This connection is secure and is important for organizations and corporate networks.
- The best VPN usually either relies on IPsec (Internet Protocol Security) or SSL (Secure Sockets Layer), but sometimes tunneling protocols are also used such as PPTP (Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol) and L2TP (Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol).
What is a site to site VPN?
- When the VPN uses a gateway device to connect to a network in another location, it is called site to site VPN.
- A lot of site to site VPNs also use IPsec when connecting over the internet.
- While using a site to site VPN, it is also normal to use MPLS (multiprotocol label switching) clouds as the most important transportation.
- Recent hybrid access systems have transformed the VPN gateway to the cloud.
What is a mobile VPN?
- A mobile VPN is designed in such a way that it optimizes the VPN to provide seamless and perfect user experience when a device is moving out of network coverage or switching networks.
- With its smaller memory footprint, it requires less processing.
- Hence, it lets your applications move faster while the battery lasts longer than in traditional VPNs.
- A mobile VPN can be the best VPN as it has more privacy, productivity, and user satisfaction.
- It also helps solve support issues that are caused by wireless connectivity.
- With smartphones being used for more and more purposes and are becoming the apex of all work, mobile VPN may be the future of VPNs.
- It allows internet access while providing security behind a firewall. This helps protect any sensitive information you might have.
Who requires a VPN?
- A VPN can be accessed from anywhere, a laptop, smartphone, or a tablet.
- The best VPN service can boost your anonymity and security on the internet.
- Hence, private as well as business owners can benefit from a VPN service.
- Communication over a VPN is encrypted and hence they are safe; important work information cannot go into the wrong hands.
- A hacker or spy would not know what pages were accessed.
- Important and sensitive information like passwords will also not be seen by any unauthorized party.
How can you easily choose a VPN service?
The best VPNs can either be free or paid and have various features that range from basic to advanced based on each person’s requirement. Typically, free VPN plans limit the user’s data capabilities, so for important needs, such as for business purposes, it’s a good idea to opt for a paid connection.
- Cost: If you require something basic and inexpensive, VPNs like AnchorFree HotSpot Shield Elite or Spotflux Premium VPN can come to your rescue. Free trials are also made available by most major VPN services to see whether their services help you. Further, using free services can work if you are not bothered by slow speed or annoying ads.
- Reliability: Another important thing is reading reviews to make sure that the VPN service you are subscribing to is reliable and the best for you.
- Bandwidth limits: The cost of the subscription mostly defines how fast the internet is. Expensive subscriptions have higher speeds.
- Apps for different devices: Most smartphone and tablet apps are highly vulnerable, so ensure that you get a VPN with fewer logs recorded as it is safer that way. It can not only protect you from online hackers but also avoid government surveillance.
What can you watch with a VPN?
Some things that you can watch with a VPN are as follows:
- Football World Cup from Russia for free via live streaming
- Tour De France from France for free
- Wimbledon Tennis for free
- TV shows and movies in a country where they are banned
- Netflix when you are on vacation