Guide to buying rugs for your house
What is the first thing you notice when you enter a house? Wall paint? Furniture? Décor? You won’t believe, but a lot of people’s attention is drawn to the rug or the carpet on the floor of your room. Now, that you know that your guests would see the rug in your living room first thing, is your rug good enough and does it complement the color scheme of your house?
Read this article to know how to choose a perfect rug for your house.
Why do you need to invest in a good rug?
- Every house should have statement rugs as they add to the aesthetics of the houses.
- Not just that, they are easy to maintain and help in keeping the floor clean.
- Rugs also help in keeping the rooms warm in winters.
What are the different materials of rugs you can buy?
When choosing a statement rug for your house, you need to buy one that is durable, easy to clean and gentle on your feet. Buy a rug that is made of 100 % natural materials. Some of the fabrics you can consider for rugs are:
- Flat woven – Flat-woven rugs are made from wool or cotton, and they don’t bunch up. They are your best option if you are looking for a durable and an affordable rug.
- Hand-knotted – These rugs are one of the most beautiful and expensive rugs you will ever come across. They are of exceptional quality and last for years.
- Crocheted – These rugs are in most cases round shaped, and they give your house an edgy look.
How big should the rug be?
- Whenever you are clueless about the size of the rug, your safe bet would be to buy a much bigger rug. This might sound bizarre and uneconomical, but the truth is that if you end up buying a smaller one, it will look out of place and you might end up never using the rug.
- In a room, the rug should be big enough to fit all the furniture, like coffee table, sofa unit, and recliner.
- For houses where the sofa unit and the chairs are against the walls, the rug should at least cover the front legs of the furniture.
- If your furniture is in the middle of the room, then the rug should be big enough to cover all the legs of the furniture.
What colors should you choose for your rug?
- Buy a rug which complements the theme of your house. If you have a minimalist furniture, then you can always opt for bold rugs which would add an edge to the décor.
- On the other end, if your house décor is too vibrant and chaotic, then you can keep it simple when it comes to the rug, and choose a neutral color rug.
- You can also decide whether you want to go for a solid color rug or one with intricate design and patterns.
How to maintain your house rugs?
- It is essential that you regularly vacuum your rugs to keep them clean and in an excellent condition.
- If you spill something on the rug and there is a stain, dab wet cloth and try cleaning the stain.
- If the stain still does not go, use mild soap water and detergents to clean the rug.
- Note that you need to keep wet rugs out in the sun and dry them nicely. Otherwise, they will start smelling bad.
Where can you buy cheap rugs?
- Today, there are many online home décor sites, which sell beautiful rugs in all kinds of shapes, material, and pattern.
- Some of the top online websites to shop for rugs are West Elm, World Market, Urban Outfitters and Target.
Shopping for rug might seem easy, but it can be quite tricky. When buying a rug, keep in mind essential details like the size, fabric, pattern and above all your budget, as beautiful rugs often cost a bomb.